Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

HCHS 2015 Commencement Address

This past Saturday, I had the great honor and privilege to deliver the commencement address at Hancock County High School, my alma mater (Class of 2000 represent!). Naturally, I talked about my experiences as an Appalachian in our post-modern culture, and how my life was shaped by the values instilled in me by my homeland. Becoming proud of being a mountain man was a process for me, and I hope the graduates can have an easier path embracing their local identity  (or not, if they choose not to).

Several people have asked for the video, so I decided the most effective way to share it would be here. So, below is the video! If you'd like a copy emailed to you, just let me know at paul.emory.reed@gmail.com or in a comment (be sure to put your email!)




2 comments:

  1. I would love to have a copy of this sent to my email please. May I forward it? Your words ring true after the death of our beloved State Trooper Josh Mabe. Our community has lost a wonderful man and we have come together to mourn such a loss. Your words came to mind as I stood in line to pay my respects to his wife and family..we are blessed. So proud of the man you have became!..much love Luella Spillman ( luellaspillman@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go mountain man go.....so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete